Charlesbridge publishes high-quality books for children and adults, with a goal of creating and supporting lifelong readers and lifelong learners. Our children’s books encourage reading and discovery in the classroom, library, and home, and embrace a child’s innate sense of wonder and fun. Charlesbridge believes that books should offer accurate information, be both compelling and educational, and promote a positive worldview. To this end, we continually strive to seek new voices, new visions, and new directions in both children's and adult literature.
Retail Sales and Marketing Manager
Independent publisher seeks Retail Sales and Marketing Manager to join their sales and marketing team. Successful candidates will possess a love of books for readers of all ages and a desire to promote our unique and celebrated trade list. This is a full-time, benefitted position. Charlesbridge currently operates under a hybrid in-office/virtual work schedule, requiring some time in our Watertown offices.
Working as part of our sales and marketing team and reporting to the Vice President, Senior Director of Sales and Marketing, The Retail Sales and Marketing Manager is responsible for sales and marketing efforts to consumer facing outlets, including, but not limited to independent bookstores, special markets, and online retailers including Amazon.
Manager is responsible for developing and executing title positioning and customer outreach strategies for the retail market, overseeing title metadata, for developing and executing retail and consumer newsletters and mailings and digital marketing, and coordinating social media content and campaigns with the social media team. Manager is also responsible for building strong relationships and brand recognition with consumer outlets.
The ideal candidate has a deep understanding of the retail market for both children’s titles and adult non-fiction, has previous trade marketing or bookselling experience, is organized and detail-oriented, and is interested in working as part of a collaborative team.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Manages and executes account, market, and title specific promotional programs, mailings and account maintenance for indies, specialty retailers, and online retailers.
- Oversees title positioning, including all metadata updates on backlist and frontlist and forthcoming titles. Researches and provides feedback on positioning, competition, and sale and marketability for potential acquisitions.
- Collaborates with editorial and marketing teams to create impactful title positioning and effective metadata and SEO.
- Manages creation and distribution of all Edelweiss catalogs and aids with creation of sales materials, sell sheets, and other creative content.
- Facilitates newsletters (and other digital marketing) to retail and consumer lists and aids with creation of collateral materials where appropriate.
- Liaises with social media team. Aids with social media strategy and execution.
- Manages relationships with customers, vendors, and contributors. Presents titles to key contacts and accounts where appropriate.
- Aids with planning and execution of regional trade shows and national industry events.
- Bachelor of Arts degree or equivalent
- Minimum of five years of publishing, marketing, or bookselling experience; two years of supervisory experience strongly preferred
- Familiar with Edelweiss, Amazon Analytics and SEO best practices strongly preferred
- Critical thinking and the ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- A strong sense of prioritization and attention to detail
- Well-honed written and oral communication skills; experience writing marketing and sales copy preferred
- A strong desire to work in a collaborative, team-oriented environment
How to Apply
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to email@example.com. Inclusion of writing samples with application materials encouraged. Please send application materials in one PDF doc with subject line “Retail Sales and Marketing Manager”. No phone calls or snail mail, please.
For more information visit www.charlesbridge.com.